Most of us think of mould as that mossy, green stuff that grows on our food when it’s gone bad. And while it only makes sense to toss out such food as it’s no longer safe for consumption, the presence of mould in our homes can present dangers even when it isn’t eaten. Mould can grow in many different areas. And when mould spores become airborne, they can negatively impact our respiratory systems.
Wherever there is moisture, there is the opportunity for mould to grow. This is why it’s so important to utilize the exhaust fans in our kitchens and bathrooms. Ventilation is a key to keeping mould growth at bay. But what else can we do to prevent mould growth in our homes?
Disinfect kitchen and bathroom surfaces.
Become a neat freak, especially when it comes to your sinks, kitchen floors, bathroom floors and shower tiles. As mentioned, the kitchen and bathroom are locations of the home where the most moisture is present. Keeping their surfaces clean, dry and disinfected will keep mould from developing.
“Surfaces like sinks or floors are also favourite places for mould; more so if they are wet most of the time,” writes Jonathan of MoldBlogger.com, “Luckily these are typically non porous surfaces (tile, stone, laminate…) which makes them ideal for disinfectants and other cleaners. Some people consider the strongest and safest method of disinfecting to be a vapour steam cleaner. Once finished cleaning, make sure no moisture remains.”
Minimize humidity and try to keep everything dry.
The drier you keep your living environment, the better your chances at avoiding the presence of mould. As Krisha McCoy points out on EverydayHealth.com, mould can rear its ugly head if you live in a particularly humid climate.
“Mould spores move constantly through the air, both inside and outside the home,” she explains, “Once they find a damp spot, they claim it. That damp spot could be on paper, food, wood, plaster, and carpets. Since mould loves anything wet, the way to control its spread is to keep everything as dry as possible.”
Locate and repair all leaks.
In many cases, you may not even know that a leak exists in your home. Most people find out about leaks once the damage to their ceilings or walls has already been made. Faulty plumbing or even an old roof can lead to leaks. So before you see any water marks, conduct an inspection to make sure everything is in tip-top shape.
“Regularly wipe up any puddles of water that may accumulate in your kitchen and bathrooms,” insists McCoy, “Promptly repair any leaks that you detect.”
Quickly take clothes out of the washing machine after the cycle is complete.
Have you ever left your clothes in the washing machine too long? Have you ever taken damp clothes out of the dryer? In both cases, you would be giving mould an opportunity to develop. “Thoroughly dry your items before putting them into storage,” instructs Jonathan, “Try to put them outside or in places where there is air circulating.”
At Enviro-Works Inc., we specialize in detecting mould in a variety of ways. Our state-of-the-art laboratory services include detection of Mould In Air as well as through sampling bulk materials, using tapelifts and swabbing, also known as the Bulk/Tapelift/Swab methods. For more information about our Mould Testing, please don’t hesitate to call us at 780-457-4652 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.